Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Juice Cleanse: Days 2 & 3

Day 2 and 3 of the great-ish juice cleanse of 2013 went pretty okay. I must confess, I veered from it a little on Saturday night at a post-holiday party (although mainly by eating Mexican caviar, which I made with delicious fresh lime juice and many fresh veggies... recipe here for you vegan party-goers! : http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco-recipes/recipe/4134/mexican-caviar/), and at a wedding-planning breakfast on Sunday morning with the BFF.

I have therefore decided that, with my various eating issues and hectic schedule, I will choose ONE day a week (probably a Wednesday, when I am not teaching) to do either a tea or juice fast, and give my digestive system a break. This will work far better, and not make me feel like eating my own hand to keep up my energy during hour 4 at the dance studio.

Some scrumptious juices were made, including a really great one by the housemate which included a juice sweet potato. Mm mm good... who knew?! The not-so-great juice of the detox was my throw-everything-together Sunday afternoon juice... cabbage, lemon, cranberries, mint, apples, cucumber... it might have been delish but for that cabbage. Interesting taste, not so interesting colour!
Evil brown cabbage juice

Lastly, I realised just how dehydrated I must be on a regular basis. My coworker and I were talking about this on the way home last night - we teach for about 5 hours straight, and mayyyybe go through 0.5 L of water the whole time as we are constantly dancing and moving and yelling and... you know... teaching. Who has time for water? Urgh! This hit home during the detox for sure, as the pee was not happening as frequently as it should have, and when it did... well, let's just say it was the opposite of light and clear and lovely. I figured it out half-way through Day 2 though, and took steps to fix. Housemate had a very different, more positive experience, as she is super-smart and drank all the water. That shall be me from the beginning next time. Lesson learned!

So, my own, individual conclusion: Juice fast is awesome for a once a week thing. It is important to focus on in-season fruits/veggies as much as possible, for bank-account-saving purposes (makes me excited for summer juicing!). Drink a gabillion litres of water... and make this happen on a daily basis, anyway. Juicing makes you feel healthy and great and awesome and clear, and making it a regular habit, along with healthy eating, stops bad cravings. Bonus!

Yours in juiced-up wellness,
N.



1 comment: